Suggested wine pairing: Laurel Ridge 2018 Estate Chardonnay, Yamhill-Carlton AVA, Willamette Valley
Few things seem more appropriately autumnal than fresh picked apples. Here in the Willamette Valley, we have an abundance of fruit stands and U-Pick Orchards (including several nationally acclaimed locations) to help us get our fix. But, how many apple pies, apple crisps, and jars of applesauce can you actually make?
Enter our Spicy Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese.
Guaranteed to be your favorite quick and easy recipe, this grilled cheese pays homage to the delicious comfort foods of our childhood, while providing a seriously adult twist. The sharp cheddar and the crisp apple perfectly compliment each other, while the arugula and mustard add a touch of complexity that pairs beautifully with the minerality of our 2019 Estate Pinot Gris. Don’t feel guilty about opening a bottle of wine just for this sandwich!
2 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon, juice
Fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup arugula, washed and trimmed
4 slices sourdough bread
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 apple, cored and sliced thinly
4 – 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Using pan on medium-low heat, begin browning butter.
3. Toss arugula with olive oil, lemon juice, and black pepper. Set aside.
4 .In larger griddle pan, toast one side of each slice of bread.
5. Once butter is browned and nutty, remove from heat, brushing the untested side of each slice of bread with it.
6. On 2 slices, gently spread dijon mustard.
7. On all 4 slices of bread, place one slice cheese, then layer apple slices, then top with another slice of cheese (extra, if you want a gooey sandwich!)
8. Place all sandwich slices, open side up, into the oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
9. Removing sandwiches from the oven, immediately top two bread slices with dijon mustard with arugula, then “close” the sandwich.
10. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!
And as always, remember to tag us in any photos of the recipes you post to social for a re-share – we love seeing how you enjoy our wines!